Friday, May 7, 2010

Vanilla Key Lime Cookies


In 2003 I moved to Hollywood to become, let's be honest, a star. While waitressing, going to auditions, and  pursuing a cliche (but worthwhile if it comes true) dream that thousands of others share (about 10,000 new dreamers arrive in LA each DAY!) ... I was financially challenge aka broke. So, for Christmas, I baked cookies for all my new Jewish friends I'd made in Los Angeles, most of whom worked in the music Industry. Long story short, they loved my cookies and told me I should sell them so I did. First by word of mouth, then online, and finally to 10 different wholesale accounts around LA, including Whole Foods. I called my little homegrown company Cookies Couture and prided myself on using the best, most unique ingredients the cookie world had ever seen. The good news ... people loved them! The bad news ... I was only 22 and began without a business plan or a lot of funding. For a few years I waitressed and ran the company, and was just breaking even. After consulting my heart, my head and my, let's be honest, parents, I decided I had to shutter the cookie biz for the time being, get a "real" job and learn more about the business side of the high end bakery world. 

It's 2010 and I have yet to resurrect Cookies Couture, but I do bake often and this recipe was my best seller! Even if you don't like key lime, you very well may love these cookies. There are also super simple to make. 

For Cookies
1 cup salted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 egg yolk
2 Tablespoons keylime zest
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 Tablespoons key lime juice
(I like Nellie & Joe's)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups + 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
For Icing
2 1/4 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup key lime juice (add more or less as needed to thin icing to a drizzle consistency)
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 drops green food coloring (optional)

Using an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes, scraping the bowl down as needed. Add egg yolk, zest, vanilla extract, key lime juice, and salt and mix on medium speed until combined, about 1 minute. Add flour and mix until just combined, scraping down sides as necessary. 

Transfer the dough to large piece of wax paper. Form into ball, wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes or freeze for 10 minutes. 

Preheat the oven to 350
 degrees F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper, Silpat, or tin foil and set aside. 

Use a 1oz. ice cream scoop or small spoon to scoop dough into balls and place on baking sheet 1 1/2 inches apart. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, rotating sheets half way through if your oven does not bake evenly. Remove cookies before they begin to brown. Remove from oven and let cool fully before icing. 

For the key lime icing: In bowl of electric mixer, combine the powdered sugar, key lime juice, vanilla, and salt. Using whisk attachment, whisk until smooth. Scrape down sides as needed and add more water or sugar as needed to create drizzle factor. Add food coloring and whisk until coloring is even. Fill piping bag or zip lock bag with icing and snip off tip to make a tiny hole for drizzling icing back and forth over cookies. 

Once cookies are iced, let dry at least one hour before packaging.

2 comments:

  1. I see that you’re interested and fascinated in food stuffs. This is awesome
    Vanilla Key Lime Cookies . You see, we have this food site Foodista.com (http://www.foodista.com) that is a food and cooking encyclopedia that everyone and anyone can edit. Maybe you are interested in sharing some of recipes to us or share your knowledge about food stuffs and techniques, or maybe you just like to write reviews about food, restaurant and recipes...why don't you visit us sometimes, if its food you're interested in, then we are interested in you. Don't hesitate to check us out.

    I hope to see you there.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound delicious! I love love love all things lime. After finally getting Key Lime Pie right, I think it is time to branch out and give these a bash.

    Greetings from London

    ReplyDelete