Monday, July 9, 2007

BEVERLY HILLS FARMERS MARKET



Sometimes it’s easy to feel out of touch with our fellow Angelinos. We’re either in our cars alone in thick traffic or trying to look SUPER COOL with our exclusive clique at a trendy new eatery. Whenever I want to feel all warm and cozy with humanity, I head to Runyon Canyon. I guess there’s something about being outside with dogs that make people in LA actually acknowledge each other, smile and greet a perfect stranger.

This Sunday I discovered another such place … the BH Farmer’s Market. Shoppers seemed to have left all attitudes at their mansions or in my case, apartment, and if I’m not mistaken people were truly happy enjoying the simpler things like great weather and fresh food. I started my journey at the Rockenwagner Bakery stand where I positively drooled over what to indulge in. A fresh slice of apple pie with flaky crust covered in cinnamon and sugar or a large square piece of cake known as “Bee Sting or Bienenstich.” The layer of rich creamy custard tucked between thin slices of light white cake was calling to me and topped with a crust of honey almond brittle … well I just had to try it.

First bite, good; custard very creamy and not overly sweet. Second bite; almond crust … um, OK TO DIE FOR! Where had this cake been all my life? For once I can’t quite find the words to describe how gorgeous this dessert tasted on my tongue. Think a silky vanilla crème, browned butter, caramelized honey, almond praline sort of heaven with the slightest bit of crunch.

After devouring the majority of the Bee Sting (4 bites were stolen by my boyfriend) I head off to healthier pastures and buy some big juicy beefsteak tomatoes, mushrooms still dirty from the ground, red onions, red and white carrots, white corn so perfect it looks fake, and a huge bouquet of sunflowers the color of the sexiest sunset you’ve ever seen.








BH FARMERS MARKET ~ Sundays 9am -1pm

9300 Block of Civic Center Drive

(310) 550-4796

Rockenwagner Bakery ~12835 W. Washington Blvd.

Mar Vista, California 90066

(310) 578-8171

Hours: Mon-Fri 8am-3pm; Sat-Sun 9am-4pm

Later that night I made a great tuna salad with some of the fresh veggies: ReCipE BeloW.

SUMMER TIME TUNA SALAD
1 CAN ALL WHITE TUNA IN WATER
1 COB OF CORN UNCOOKED
1/3 C. CHOPPED ONION
½ C. CHOPPED RED BELL PEPPER
2 TBSP RICE VINEGAR
1TSP OLIVE OIL
½ TSP TURMERIC
SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE

Slice corn off cob. Add drained tuna, corn, and all other ingredients to medium mixing bowl. Mix well with fork and enjoy alone or in a whole wheat wrap.

No comments:

Post a Comment